What now? - How to get an international school job
What should you be doing right now if you want to be working in an international school next September?
1. Start thinking about which region of the world you would like to work. Consider the lifestyle, cultural expectations, the social opportunities and/or restrictions, ease of travelling home and travelling to other countries for holidays.
2. Explore the number of job opportunities that are likely to be available to you in a particular region. For example, there are over 100 international schools in each of these cities: Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Karachi, Beijing, Buenos Aires, Shanghai, Bangkok and Cairo. This will mean there will likely be many more job opportunities. Consider that when thinking about regions.
3. Don’t pigeon-hole yourself into one particular country or city as this will likely restrict your opportunities. Try and be open to jobs within an entire region at this stage.
4. Choose a recruitment agency that can help you through the entire process of preparing, searching, finding and moving to an international school. You need to be sure that the staff are experts in international schools – not just teacher recruitment, that they visit and know the schools they are recommending to you, and that they are prompt at communicating with you personally. TIC can provide you with all that support and more.
5. Read as much as you can about international schools and the experiences of teachers who are working in international schools – and watch videos of what they have to say. This will help you understand what life will be like. You can find lots of examples on the Advice section of the TIC website and on TIC’s YouTube page.
6. Look out for next month’s newsletter when we’ll offer advice on how to get your CV or resume ready for international school jobs.
Seminar – teaching in an international school
A free seminar sharing the advice you need to know
If you’re thinking about teaching overseas, come along to TIC’s FREE seminar in London on Saturday 28th November. Find out how to find the best jobs in the best international schools.
The seminar will include:
- Advice about applying for jobs in international schools
- How to pick the right international school for you
- What to expect when teaching and living abroad
- Best international school job opportunities for young single teachers, teaching couples, teachers with families, empty nesters, teachers nearing retirement, teachers looking for specific career development, support jobs in international schools, and opportunities for senior leaders
Also available: book a one-to-one personal career consultation with a TIC recruitment expert
Spaces limited. Register for a place now and tell your colleagues!