Thank you for your interest in the Harrow International School Shanghai. You have been directed to the website of TIC Recruitment; we provide a personalised, reliable and responsive recruitment service tailored specifically to international schools and teachers worldwide. We have worked with the Harrow group since 2008 and handle all applications and recruitment for the Harrow International Schools in Bangkok, Beijing, Hong Kong and (opening in 2016) Shanghai.
Below you will see details of current vacancies at Harrow International School Shanghai. Please click on any relevant vacancy to complete the formal application form. Via this page, you can also download relevant job descriptions/ specifications and the detailed applicant information pack.
If you have any questions regarding the School or the recruitment process please do not hesitate to contact our Recruitment Manager, Gemma McSweeney:
Tel: +(0) 2920 212083
About Harrow International School Shanghai
Harrow International School, Shanghai is an Early Years-Year 13 co-educational day and boarding school which reflects the values, culture and curriculum of its prestigious namesake, Harrow School. The construction of the School is nearing completion.
The School will open as follows:
- August 2016 – Lower School: Early Years (Pre K-K2), Pre-Prep (Years 1-5) and Prep School (Years 6-8)
- August 2017 – Upper School (Senior – Years 9-10, Sixth Form – Year 12)
- August 2018 – Remainder of Upper School (Years 11 and 13)
It is envisaged that the School will eventually grow to a roll of approximately 1400. As with the other Harrow International Schools, Shanghai’s vision, Leadership for a better world, will be realised by means of a characteristically Harrow approach to schooling which demands of students and teachers high academic attainment, involvement in a rich array of extra-curricular activities, and engagement in high quality pastoral support structures, particularly the House system. Day students in Years 9-13 will be assigned to Boarding Houses where they will be physically based and in which their academic and all-round wellbeing will be monitored.
Location and site
The School will be situated in the newly developed Sunland project in the Waigaoqiao Free Trade Zone Development located near Pudong, the main expatriate area of Shanghai, and only 30 minutes from the centre of Shanghai to which it is connected by ring roads, expressways and metro lines. The project is a fully integrated with commercial, business, residential, recreational zones including a golf course, rugby and tennis clubs, and a lake providing water sports.
All phases of the School will be located on the one site with boarding and staff apartments adjacent to the school but distinctive from it - although the onsite residential accommodation will not be ready until the 2017-18 school year. Consequently, teachers will be accommodated elsewhere in the first year and boarding will not commence until the second year.
The teachers will be primarily from the UK and other British style international schools. Many of the teachers will live on site in boarding or adjacent to boarding in an apartment block. This applies in particular to Prep and Upper School teachers all of whom will be required to participate in boarding life and duties.
The School will be organised into two broad phases, Lower and Upper Schools, each with its own Head. The Head of Lower School, will oversee Early Years and Pre-Prep (Years 1-5) while the Head of Upper School will oversee Prep (Years 6-8), the Senior School (Years 9-11) and Sixth Form (Years 12-13).
The curriculum of Early Years will be based on the EYFS curriculum while Pre-Prep will be based on the National Curriculum of England with flavours of the International Primary Curriculum evident. Similarly, Prep, will be based on the National Curriculum with the International Middle Years Curriculum influencing curriculum themes and learning approaches. The foci of the Upper School curricula will be IGCSE and A-levels.
As with the other Harrow International Schools, a very comprehensive extra-curricular programme, which is called Leadership in Action, being the practical application of the Harrow International’s vision statement, will involve all students and teachers every week. Leadership in Action includes community service, outdoor education, sport, the performing arts and a wide range of clubs and hobbies.
The House system will be the pastoral heart of the School and will provide students with leadership opportunities in all phases of the School. In the Lower School and Prep it will be more informally organised but in the Senior School and Sixth Form, all day students will be assigned to boarding Houses and for all Year 9-13 students, the House will be the focus of their life at school, as it is at Harrow School itself.
Photographs of Harrow International School Shanghai
Currently no vacancies
Please only apply if you meet the following requirements (for teaching positions):
- The ability to inspire others and lead by example, role modelling the School’s vision statement Leadership for a better world in relationships with students, teachers and parents.
- Appropriate academic degree and teaching qualification.
- The ability and commitment to be outstanding classroom teachers, usually with a minimum teaching experience of three years.
- A strong commitment to student progress.
- A genuine commitment to the wellbeing and pastoral care of children.
- Interests and abilities that can enhance the School’s extra-curricular programme.
- Excellent inter-personal skills with students, teachers and parents.
- Excellent administrative, organisational, and ICT skills.
Prior to applying please make sure you download the relevant information pack and/ or job description in the 'related downloads' section below.
In order to formally apply for a position please click on the relevant vacancy (above) and complete the online application form. Once you have submitted your application you will receive an automated email to confirm receipt.
We will contact references for all candidates who reach the initial shortlisting stage - if you would not like us to request references please specify this on the application form. Unless good reasons to the contrary, references should include your current and previous Head teacher/ Principal.
Applying for multiple positions and/ or loading a saved application form
Please refer to the downloads section below for a step by step guide on how to apply for multiple positions and/ or how to load a saved application form. If you have any problems please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date is midnight (GMT) Friday 26th February 2016. Early applications prior to the closing date are encouraged.
- Skype interviews will take place as appropriate - times/ dates TBC
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The successful applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening.
If you have any questions please contact Gemma McSweeney, Recruitment Manager, on:
Tel: +44 (0) 2920 212083
We look forward to receiving your application and thank you once again for your interest in the Harrow International School of Shanghai. Please do not contact the School directly at this stage.
- Candidate Information Pack (.pdf format, 8 MB)
- Director of Chinese Studies and Mandarin Job Description (.pdf format, 639 KB)
- Director of Chinese Studies and Mandarin Person Specification (.pdf format, 609 KB)
- EAL Teacher Job Description (.pdf format, 600 KB)
- Early Years Teacher Job Description (.pdf format, 595 KB)
- Key Stage 2 Leader (Coordinator) Job Description (.pdf format, 637 KB)
- Art and Design Teacher Job Description (.pdf format, 635 KB)
- ICT Teacher Job Description (.pdf format, 637 KB)
- How to apply for multiple positions (.pdf format, 242 KB)
- How to load a saved draft (.pdf format, 294 KB)