Overcoming the Post Holiday Blues: Doha Style!
Holidays are over, and as the TIC representative in Doha I’m sharing a few tips for all local TIC teachers - and other Doha expats - who need some inspiration for the new year. Hope this helps!
By Hailey Fazekas, Middle East Recruitment Consultant
Getting back in to a routine has no doubt been a bit of a shock, and while we are all grateful for elastic waistbands after the holidays, perhaps it's time to take advantage of the amazing winter weather here in Doha. If the warm weather is not enough to coax you out the door, here are 5 great (non-couch related) options to consider:
1. Dog walking at Qatar Animal Welfare Society (QAWS): Get outdoors and enjoy the fresh weather while helping out a great cause. Volunteers are always needed and welcome with over 120 dogs that need daily exercise!
2. Determined to stick to a new year's fitness resolution? Take up yoga, salsa, tennis or a new and very popular colour meditation class at Al Sharq Hotel. There are plenty of fitness class opportunities, just start by checking the major hotel websites and fitness clubs for details. You're sure to find something that is your speed.
3. Speaking of speed, the Arabian Drag Racing League will be kicking off Jan 9! This is the biggest annual organized racing event in the Gulf. Pro drivers from all over the region will be racing cars and street bikes for cash prizes. The event starts Jan 9 until Feb 21. A special area for families will be set up, food can be purchased on site and entrance is FREE!
4. Golf! As a new player to the sport, I have a huge appreciation for it and how hard of a sport it really is! Doha's Golf Club has a driving range - perfect for practicing your swing (and because hitting stuff is fun!) or spend the afternoon on the beautiful course that is fit for the pros'.
5. Feeling creative? Get involved in an educational experience with the art and design community courses offered by Virginia Commonwealth University. With over 50 different non-credit classes available there is sure to be something that interests you.
If none of these inspire you, pick up a Time Out Doha magazine and find out what's happening around the city this month. Happy New Year from TIC in Doha!